Thursday, October 20, 2011

Parsing the Armory

So in my free time, what little there is, I’ve spent reworking armorylite to use the new Blizzard API.

I’ve decided to take the time to port the site over from top-down PHP to using a framework (my choice is always CakePHP).

While this has proven a bit time consuming to move all of this funky logic over (along with rewriting everything for the new API), it has allowed me to reuse and repurpose a lot of the common code in a much more efficient method; making the site faster and being able to handle much larger spikes in traffic.

Blizzard already bumped me up to their top-tier “fan site” level, as I’m parsing about 100 characters a minute right now (that’s new content, not cached or not-modified – probably closer to 200 with those) and everything is running without problem aside from strange response headers every now and then from the Korean and Chinese services.

All of this is being done so we are ready to launch ToR Freak when SWTOR goes live this December!

posted by Dustin Vannatter at 1:43 pm  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *